Last week I decided I couldn't stand Luke's shaggy hair anymore, so I finally bit the bullet and took him to get his very first haircut on Friday.

"What the ......??? A haircut?"
(Notice the tears on his cheeks)
"But all this time you've told me I was so handsome...."
It was just getting too long and shaggy on the top, was covering his ears on both sides, and was becoming a mullet in the back.

My handsome man with not-so-handsome hair.
See. Not so cute.

The problem is that he has 3 cowlicks. I have diagrammed them here for your better understanding. There are 2 in the back that go in kind of the same direction. The one in the very front goes against the grain, though. It makes it difficult to figure out which way to comb (read: rake my fingers through) his hair, since it wants to go one way at the top of his head and exactly the other way in the front. Anyway, I was hoping that having a little less hair on his head would make things easier and that maybe the hair stylist would give me some kind of secret to figuring out the logic puzzle that was his hair situation. So off we went to Cookie Cutters. I had no idea where to go, so I just figured that a place that does nothing else besides cut kids' hair would be a safe bet.
Luke got to sit in the firetruck chair AND eat his very first lollipop.

You can see the mullet that was forming in this picture. And the big ol' gut to match it.

The caped Stinker ready to go.
Not so sure what's up with the spray-bottle shower the lady gave him.

"Like, what do you think you're doing, lady?"
Realizing that he can turn the steering wheel and maybe escape this strange Lady Scissorhands.
"Hey, this haircut stuff is a breeze!"

Hold up. Wait a minute.
What. Is. That?

"Ummm....ok, lady. Joke's over. I don't think I like this."

MAAAAMMMMMMAAAAAA!!!!!!
As you can see, he was not a fan of the clippers. I think the noise scared him, not to mention the death grip on his skull. I had to put my arm around him and my cheek against his and then he calmed right down and let her finish.
He survived the trauma. His hairline didn't.
While I was happy with the cut in the front, I DO NOT like how she cut his hair on the left side and in the back. She hiked up his hair line waaaayyy too high, and on his left side, it's practically a straight line from the top of his ear back to the nape of his neck. I mean, what???? And look at that sideburn. What sideburn, you ask. Precisely. I mean, it's ABOVE his ear. What the ....????? And lucky me got to pay $14 plus tip for this masterpiece. Oh well. He got a lollipop (2 actually...one for the road!), a firetruck chair, a video to watch, and play time on the big slide at the end, so that part made it all bearable. We just won't be going back!
Doing his best coy magazine pose for the camera.
Don't hate me cuz I'm beee-utiful.

So do I get another lollipop now?

Merran,
ReplyDeleteThat one picture of him screaming made me laugh!!! Oh my goodness, you are such a good mommy. i still have yet to cut Fin's hair because if I do, I can't put her hair in pigtails....the mullet she has serves its purpose that way! What an adorable place to take him for his first haircut. I wonder if we have one here. Great job on this post. Your writing always makes me laugh
He is adorable before and after the haircut! I want to squeeze him!!!
ReplyDelete