Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Big Man Birthday Bash...kind of.


Well,
.....{sigh}....
We had Luke's birthday party last Saturday. It started at 5 pm, and the plan was to have a big cookout in the backyard. We invited a bunch of families and planned on having tons of fun playing, cooking, and eating outside. I (with help from my sister, Anne, and friend, Carli) put lots of time and effort into making decorations, buying/borrowing toys and things to play with outside, and making the desserts and sides. We were so excited for this party.....
And then we woke up on Saturday to the crummiest weather ever! The temperature had dropped about 20 degrees (I'm not exaggerating. It was in the low 50's!), the wind gusts were ridiculous, and it was sprinkling on and off all day long. BOO HISS!!! We were so bummed. We had no choice but to move the party indoors, and since we don't have a giant downstairs, we had to set up the tables in the dingy garage. Not what I had envisioned for Luke's first birthday party. It all ended up working out, but I can't lie---it was somewhat of a let-down. Lots of people couldn't make it at the last minute, but that ended up being okay, since we were now all stuck in the garage. Those that did show up were very kind and flexible and didn't seem to mind eating in the same place we park our cars. We managed to have fun, but most importantly Luke had a lot of fun. He played and played with all the "big kids" and seemed to have a blast....until cupcake time, that is! Thanks to all of our friends who showed up and celebrated our Big Man's first year with us. It was a special time, despite the kinks in our plans, and we are so grateful to you all for being a part of the party and a part of our lives!!

Here are some pictures and details from the party. Since we have always called Luke "Big Man", we wanted to have a "Big Man" birthday party. I used neckties and mustaches to carry out our theme. It was such a fun theme and so cute (well, as cute as possible in a garage)!

I don't have any pictures of the invitations, but they were striped in the colors I used for his party (teal, turquoise, and lime green), and I glued onto each one a necktie that I cut out of turquoise cardstock. On the inside I wrote the details of the where/when/what on one side and this poem on the other:

We can't believe it,
But Luke is turning 1!
He's a BIG MAN now,
and the fun's just begun....
So throw on a necktie
And run a comb through your 'stache.
Then come and join us
for a BIG MAN birthday
BASH!!


This make-shift wreath greeted our guests and gave them a laugh.


It's made out of a paper plate, ribbon, crepe streamers, felt and cardstock.


The dessert table.


The cupcake stand.
(My awesome sister baked every single one of these cupcakes, with a little help from our neighbor Katie. THANK YOU, ANNE!)


Necktie sugar cookies.
They were super yummy, if I do say so myself.
(Thank you Anne and Carli for helping me make/decorate all the cookies!!)


Mustache sugar cookies with chocolate icing....and you can also see the chocolate mustache lollipops that were scattered around the table.


And speaking of chocolate lollipops, here is a picture of Luke during the lollipop making process...


...And Daddy, too!


The necktie banner made from Goodwill ties and cast offs from my dad and Carli's husband, Joel.
(This would have been SO much cuter hung up outside under our harbor, with the beautiful wisteria as a backdrop. Boo-hoo.)


Anne and I painted this "frame" which held tons of pictures of the Big Man from the past year.
(Our garage walls = G.R.O.S.S.)


A happy birthday banner made of paper plates and crepe streamers. (It also would have been much cuter hung up outside in our backyard.)


A view of the necktie banner and tables with buckets full of felt mustaches on sticks.


Another view of the tables and picture frame.


My handsome, goofy husband with a necktie napkin.


Jake modeling his necktie napkin.


Luke's buddy Anthony hard at play.


My living room full of our awesome neighbors. I love it!


The Big Man wore his own necktie that my mom and I made for him using a real tie and this tutorial.


Such a stud muffin.


Busy man taking apart a refrigerator magnet during his party.

My sis and I also made a million different mustaches on sticks. I found some great templates that I used and ended up with 13 different styles.


Jake and his Super Mario mustache.


Dominic with a Luigi mustache.


Silly Katie with yet another 'stache.
(Can you tell that they were a big hit?)


Even some of the big kids enjoyed the mustaches.


Jackson could have cared less about the mustaches. He was busy playing with the wagon full of balls and the big plastic bowl that he kept wearing like a hat.


Poor guy had a broken leg, but walked and played like a champ!


Luke and Marcus hard at work. The punching balloons were a super-smart purchase from the Dollar Tree. Little boys love punching balloons!


Luke enjoyed chewing on the bubbles while the big kids blew them.


Our neighbor Meghan helped me out a ton by feeding Luke his dinner.


After dinner we stripped Luke down in preparation for his blue cupcake. We all sang him "Happy Birthday", and he totally freaked out by the end of the song. I guess it scared him that we were all suddenly making a ton of noise while staring right at him.


This was during the song. Not a happy birthday boy. Notice the tears on his face.


Marcus helped us blow out Luke's candle. Luke was in total freak-out mode at this point.


Sweet Marcus was trying to explain to Luke that it was just a cupcake and that it was yummy.


Luke wasn't buying it.


He DID NOT like the 2 bites of cupcake that I forced him to have.


Look at that face. NOT HAPPY.


He decided to taste the candle to see if that was better...


Bad idea!


Gerber Lil' Crunchies to the rescue!!!
Luke couldn't be more addicted to these things if they were crack cocaine.


Clapping because he has his crunchies.


Daddy provided some comic relief by holding up different mustaches and speaking in (what he thought was) the appropriate accent.


A little Fu Manchu action for the Big Man.


This cracks me up.


Now it's Daddy's turn.


After the cupcake fiasco, Luke wanted to hang with Mommy for a little while and entertained himself by pulling all of the shredded paper filling out of the centerpieces.


By the time the last guests were saying goodbye, it was an hour past bed time and it certainly showed!

In other news, my sister was here for Luke's party and helped me out SO MUCH. I could not have pulled it off without her! Unfortunately, I was a loser and got practically no pictures of her with Luke. Seriously, I got 3. Two of which are below and the 3rd will never be posted on this blog for fear of her disowning me if I did!


Wearing pj's and flying on Annie's legs...


Oh what fun!!!

Thanks so much to Anne, Carli, the Barnes family, the Schrock family, my mom, and my mother-in-law for all of the help and/or contributions to Luke's party. I am so grateful!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE all the cute pics.
    And just to be clear, the party in the garage didn't look near as bad as you think! I thought it was adorable! It was a perfect party! Sorry I had to miss the best parts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative and talented...i Love the mustache and tie idea...it was precious!! You are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok i dont know if we read the same magazine or same website but i have seen this them idea and loved it and was gonna maybe do it in a year or two. thank you for convincing me not to because i could NEVER do it as perfectly as you did. i am freaking intimidated by the perfection. AWESOME job, mom. judahs party is next weekend: no theme, and i have already had 2 stress dreams about it. please fly down and be my party planner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just thoroughly impressed that you were actually able to use your garage as a back-up plan! I can hardly walk in my garage there's so much junk in there... let alone think about setting up tables and putting decorations on the wall! Great job on the party - I love love love it!!!

    ReplyDelete